May 1, 2015

April 2015 Wrap up


Personal

I got a haircut

It's gotten really long again and it wasn't looking so good anymore. I mean it didn't look particularly healthy (in spite of all the damage repair shampoos and hair masks I've tried) and the ends were really straight. Long story short: I needed a change. So I decided that I wanted to get it really short. Above the shoulder kind of short. Turns out it was the best thing to happen to me all month!

I did a DIY (not really)

I think we can all agree on the fact that the standard camera straps look dull and boring and they're actually not comfortable at all. After looking for "diy camera strap" on Pinterest I decided it was time to pimp my camera and personalize it a bit. To cover up the black and red strap that comes with the camera, I bought a scarf with little birds on it that's super soft! Wrapped it around the original strap, a bit of needle work (thanks mom) and voila.

DIY camera strap

A new obsession (like I don't have enough of those already)

I am subscribed to a bunch of lifestyle and beauty related channels on YouTube, one of which is Elle Fowler aka Allthatglitters21. Ring a bell? She recently posted a Planner 101 video in which she showcases her planner. She basically made a scrapbook out of her planner, decorating every nook and cranny with washi tape and stickers etc. and I thought it looked so cute that I instantly became obsessed (seriously I have watched that video over 10 times already). Since then I have been looking up similar videos and a whole new world opened up to me of people showing their planners and how they decorate, even how they plan their week!(!!!!) I swear to you that I have seen every single one of those videos. I like planning as well but I never thought people went this far with their planning. It's actually really cool and at some point I wanted an Erin Condren planner for myself (even though they're crazy expensive). By now, I've cooled off a bit but I'm still watching these planner related videos every single day.

Why I'm not on Bloglovin' anymore

My blog is no longer linked with my profile on Bloglovin' because it "doesn't have a valid RSS feed" anymore. I don't know how or what happened but it must've been around the time when I installed Disqus. I deleted Disqus already but the problem isn't solved. After contacting Bloglovin' about this they told me the issue was on their end because they had a bug for a couple of weeks. So it's not Disqus' fault but I haven't added it back on my blog yet. I turned my blog inside and out trying to figure out what was wrong with it, that's why it might look slightly different than before.

Edit: it's a week later now and I still haven't been able to add my blog to Bloglovin'. This business is pissing me off big time because I'm not reaching the people that followed me on there anymore. It took all my enthusiasm of blogging away with it and I have been like 'meh' the entire month. I honestly don't know what to do about this anymore.

Some more depressing stuff

The month started out really good but that changed when my spring break was over. I've been slacking this semester and now I'm paying the price. I'm extremely busy and I'm typing this because I don't want to face the crap load of work. But I'll have to eventually and I realised I'm going to have to sacrifice some of the fun stuff so I can use that time to do all the school work. My reading has been... non existent the last couple of days, I haven't watched all of my favorite shows and I haven't been very active on social media either. Normally I post about some upcoming releases at the end of the month but I just didn't find the time for that. Of course I don't need these things per sé, there will be time for that later but they are part of my 'routine' and I'm sad I'll have to cut back on them for a while. I hope I can come back next month with a more up-beat wrap up.

Books read

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard | 3 stars
Snow Like Ashes - Sara Raasch | 4 stars

Challenges

No progress this month. You can check if I made any progress throughout the month on my challenges page.

Fairytale retelling challenge


Progress
Read: 1/5-9 (20%)

Rereading challenge

Progress
Read: 3/7 (42%)


TV // movies // music

• I've been making some playlists lately with a few of my favorite movie soundtracks. I just love those! I published my second one on the first of this month. It includes Game of Thrones, Outlander, Black Sails, Assassin's Creed and many more... Since I can't embed it on my blog, listen to it here.

 photo D74719F3-72CB-4281-BED9-BC835FC74638_zpslfo1ap74.jpg

• Outlander's second season premiered at the very beginning of the month and I was with the first to watch the new episode (well as 'first' as you can get when you live on the continent - haha how oldskool). Unfortunately I was disappointed. I like historical fiction but I feel like Outlander is too focussed on the relationship between Jamie and Claire. I like me some history okay! Maybe that's what the Outlander series is actually all about (the romance) and I had different expectations and if so I'm very sad. I won't be watching the show anymore though.
• Nina Dobrev and Michael Trevino are leaving The Vampire Diaries. Like WHAT. How do you keep a show running if your main character isn't even in it anymore?
GAME OF THRONES GAME OF THRONES GAME OF THRONES! It's back! Look how excited I am! Oooooooooooo how I have anticipated this new season!
• MTV canceled Eye Candy :(
• Dominic Sherwood is Jace on the new Shadowhunters TV show. You may know him as Christian Ozera in the Vampire Academy movie or the guy in Taylor Swifts music video for Style. I don't see Jace in him yet but I'm not going to judge already. I didn't think Jennifer Lawrence was right for Katniss when I first found out she was cast and now look at her... she's perfect for the role!

Around the blogosphere

• Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books along with Kelly and Hannah introduced a new feature: Time Travel To. My favorite so far is on Tudor England (of course).
• Whitney @ Whittynovels made a discussion video about YA books and their morals. I strongly agree with what she is saying and to stick with the topic I would like to mention that...
• ... Natalie @ Flowers in my books talked about rape in books earlier in the month.
• Hazel @ Stay Bookish shared some quick blogging tips (also look at her laptop cover! *heart-eyes*)
• Grace @ Words Like Silver talked about blogging and photos. I'd want to incorporate more photos into my book blog but I feel like my blog design wouldn't do them justice.
• Ashley @ Nose Graze tells us why we should always buy a custom domain. I'm not entirely convinced... the only that's holding me back is the money that's going into it and how I can't pay for it myself.

Would you look at that! I actually posted regularly this month!

March 2015 Wrap up
BOOK REVIEW | Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
BOOK REVIEW | Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
My book-buying tendencies
BOOK REVIEW | Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Quotes I (re)discovered

“That's why literature is so fascinating. It's always up for interpretation, and could be a hundred different things to a hundred different people. It's never the same thing twice.” ― Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes
“Fear is a seed that, once planted, never stops growing.” ― Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes

How was your month? How many books did you read? Did you enjoy all of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM