April 26, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch


Basic information
Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Series: Snow Like Ashes #1
Genre: yound adult, high fantasy
Published: October 2014

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.


I might have found a great new fantasy series so fangirl over! Snow Like Ashes took me by surprise because I didn't expect it to be this good.

After reading Red Queen (read my review here) I needed a fantasy book to 'wow' me and Snow Like Ashes did exactly that. I feel like everything Red Queen lacked was in this book. But enough about Red Queen, this review is about Snow Like Ashes.

The pacing of this book was perfect and the action scenes were long enough and described very well. I always have a hard time imagining a battle or fight scene, I don't know why. I also thought everything (the world, the people, the kingdoms, the magic system, etc.) was very well explained. The author spent enough time giving us the background information we needed to understand this world she built and imagine what it looks like. Overall I thought the book was just really well written. There was action and suspense. Maybe a little romance but not too much. It had everything I look for in a good YA high fantasy series.

I loved the plot twist that changed everything. I was already speculating at one point that maybe... but I couldn't figure it out until it was explained. The other twists and turns were really well done as well.

Meira is a great heroine. She has goals in life but she isn't afraid to change them. She isn't afraid to change for the better or to stand up for herself and her position as a woman in a world where basically everything is ruled by men.

I would compare this book to Falling Kingdoms, Finnikin of the Rock and even The False Prince (even though this is considered a middle grade). I got the same vibe/feelings with this book like I did when reading these other three. The plots of all these books aren't necessarily similar. If you've read these books then I'm pretty sure you will enjoy Snow Like Ashes too.

3 comments:

  1. At one point, i felt like Miera was a bit of a martyr. she was running off to do things that people were like "don't do!" However, she also showed a lot of growth so i loved her character overall.

    My issue with this book was that it was predictable and I didn't like the romance. I really loved how it was WINTER who was good because in other stories, the cold has a connotation for being 'evil."

    great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've pointed it out, Winter is always 'bad' but now it wasn't. I also liked how its inhabitants loved their kingdom so much and loved winter.

      I'm not sure about the romance. I'm kind of glad she isn't exactly in a relationship with anyone at this point. A lot of books that are similar to this end with the main character being in a relationship.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually read a lot of high fantasy, but since I've been hearing so many good things about this one I know I have to give it a try! Worldbuilding and pacing can really make-or-break a book like this, so it's great to hear that on both points it hit the mark. Thanks for sharing Kaylie, wonderful review :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM