April 13, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

 photo 17878931 1_zpsk08bcjin.jpg
Basic information
Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #1
Genre: young adult, high fantasy or dystopia
Published: February 2015

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?




Red Queen was one of my most anticipated new releases for 2015 but it left me feeling empty and disappointed. I wanted to like this book. I wanted to love it. And I did neither of those things.

I've read a few fantasy novels now and it's becoming quite apparent that they have a lot of similarities. This book was nothing 'new'. I liked the red and silver blood dividing the people into upper and lower classes. It's interesting and unique. Sadly, I wasn't quite impressed with the rest of the book. Red Queen reminded me of a lot of other YA fantasies I've read. It reminded me the most of The Selection.



The story is fast paced but is missing explanations on a bunch of things. I would've liked to get more information, more description. There's plot twists on every other page or so. The story won't bore you for a minute unless you see 90% of the twists coming, which I did. That's such a disappointment to me that I gave up on trying to like this book after only reading a few pages. It was just all so obvious to me. Except one plot twist near the end (the biggest one of the entire book basically) so I'm glad at least something surprised me. Everything happened so conveniently in my opinion that I didn't sympathize with the main character at all. That and the fact that she made all the wrong decisions and is too willing to go along with everything. I just didn't think she made a great heroine.

Around halfway through I just wanted it to be over. I wanted to finish the book as soon as possible, to get it over with. Red Queen didn't sweep me off my feet like many other books in the same genre did. As a matter of fact I feel quite indifferent about it. Now, don't let this review put you off. Red Queen has gotten a lot of mixed reviews, meaning that a lot of people didn't like it BUT also that a lot of people did. I might not have liked it, but you might. This is the kind of book you have to read yourself before judging it.

10 comments:

  1. The cover of Red Queen is absolutely fantastic, but I stayed away from it. I've found that YA fantasy doesn't really work for me. It doesn't have the elements that I enjoy so much in adult fantasy, and I've yet to find a YA fantasy I truly love. Too bad Red Queen didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to choose between YA fantasy and adult fantasy I'd probably prefer adult because the plot is overall much more complicated and detailed and I quite like that.

      Delete
  2. YES. You're taking the words straight out of my mouth Kaylie. I completely agree with everything you've said here Kaylie. I felt like this just wasn't anything necessarily new or different from anything else we've already read in a bunch of other YA fantasies or dystopians. And while it was entertaining, the plot twists were a bit predictable.

    Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think people will enjoy Red Queen the most if they haven't read a bunch of YA fantasies and dystopia before.

      Delete
  3. Agreed. I felt the exact same way about it. I liked the world but that was about it. I did find the end to be a little more interesting because it got into more of the political side of things but in general I found the plot to be too much like some of the other YA fantasies out there today. Great review.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending is what I enjoyed most even though it was still quite predictable.

      Delete
  4. Ugh. I feel your pain. I actually just read The Selection, Elite and The One over the weekend had that same empty and disappointed feeling when it was all said and done. This book was on my TBR shelve, but I may just let it fall off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly the same as The Selection. Red Queen has a lot of stuff you find in every YA fantasy and dystopian. The part I associated with The Selection is only a small part of the book. Of course it is up to you to decide if you want to read Red Queen or not!

      Delete
  5. I really loved this one and didn't see any of the twists coming (then again - for the most part in books I never do). I've heard it being compared to The Selection a lot, though I think because I haven't read that series I found Red Queen more original? I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, great review :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read The Selection it's hard to compare the two. I'm happy that you got to enjoy this book more than I did!

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM