January 28, 2015

Reading recap | 2014

I am bringing to you: my long overdue reading recap of 2014. Obviously this should've gone up in the beginning of January but I went on a hiatus and postponed this recap a few weeks. But it is finally here and let me tell you: am I happy to finally get this over with! Not that it's a chore but I've been waiting a long time (since October oops) to finally make this recap and now I can. So without further ado: here it is. I'll warn you though: it's probably the longest blog post I made so far... so if you are committed and you want to read the whole thing, make yourself comfortable etc. (and I would also love you 5ever).


Favorite books


Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. MaasIgnite Me - Tahereh MafiThe Final Empire - Brandon SandersonThe Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick NessCity of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare Heir of Fire - Sarah J. MaasThe Well of Ascension - Brandon SandersonThe Book Thief - Markus ZusakThe Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas | 5 stars | review
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi | 5 stars
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson | 5 stars | review
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness | 4.5 stars | review
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare | 5 stars
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas | 5 stars
The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson | 5 stars | review
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | 5 stars | review
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson | 5 stars | review


Challenges


Challenge: finish 5 series

One of the challenges I set for myself was to finish 5 series. Those series being:
• The Iron Fey;
• Legend;
• Shatter Me;
• Vampire Academy and
• Fire and Thorns

Four of the bigger YA series that are out these days and that everyone should read (if they like Young Adult) in my opinion. I finished most of these in the beginning of the year and Vampire Academy later on. Challenge completed!

Challenge: read 10 books off TBR

I had (and still have) quite some books on my TBR that I wanted to read last year. And by 'TBR' I mean must-read-books like The Book Thief and Ignite Me. Basically books I really, really, really wanted to read. I only read 9 books so obviously this challenge isn't completed. The books I read:
The Iron Knight - Julie Kagawa
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Ignite Me - Tahereh Mafi
Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas
The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
Champion - Marie Lu
The Diviners - Libba Bray
The Elite - Kiera Cass
City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare

Read more fantasy

In 2013 I discovered a whole new world in the fantasy genre (pun intended). Back then I decided I wanted more of that gloriousness in my life and I made a deal with myself that I would read more (high/epic)fantasy books. It didn't matter if it was adult or YA fantasy. So in 2014 I read twice as much fantasy books as the year before that. It's safe to say that I did quite well here.
• High/epic fantasy read in 2013: 8
• High/epic fantasy read in 2014: 16

2014 Goodreads Reading Challenge

My goal was to read 60 books and I almost made it but then life got in the way and I ended up with 59 books. All those 59 books were new books, so no rereads.



Completed series


Completed in 2013

Let's look at the series I finished in 2013 (and before) first. You'll notice I finished the most popular YA series and trilogies in 2013. I had to 'catch up' and read a lot of the stuff everyone is always talking about. A series that is not on this list is the Twilight Saga. Of course I have read those books but I'm just not sure if I ever finished Eclipse... So I didn't categorize it as 'completed'.

Finished:
• Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (before 2013)
• The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare
• Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
• The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (before 2013)
• Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth

Total: 5


Completed in 2014

Now onto the series and trilogies I finished last year.

Finished:
• The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
• Legend trilogy by Marie Lu
• Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson
• Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi
• The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass
• The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
• Summer trilogy by Jenny Han
• The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
• Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
• The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke
• Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
• Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
• The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness

Total: 13


*happy dance* Thirteen series finished feels like a big accomplishment to me. I hope I can keep this up because there's still a lot series I haven't finished...




And so I'm at the end of my recap. I would've loved to add some statistics but I'm really not good with maths and whatever else you need to make those nice pie-charts with so we're just gonna leave it that. Of course I also have my reading goals blog post coming up (which might be even longer than this one now that I think about it) which I'm excited about because NEW CHALLENGES! If you're interested in my reading goals keep your eyes peeled for that one. But for now: until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM