December 6, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Title: The Hero of Ages
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Mistborn #3
Genre: high fantasy
Published: February 2010

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world.This adventure brings the Mistborn epic fantasy trilogy to a dramatic and surprising climax as Sanderson's saga offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.

There will be spoilers in this review. The end is not revealed but I talk about the characters in a way that might give some information away.

Again, I have to say something about Elend's character development. I feel like in each book he is a completely different Elend. He grows so freaking much! He learned that being emperor means he has authority and that he needs to use it. Sacrifices must be made and Elend finally understands this.
Another character that had some amazing character growth is Spook. He was always the quiet one but he becomes a hero in this book. I enjoyed pretty much every POV except for Marsh's but that's because I simply didn't like him. However, through his chapters we learn some things about Ruin which kept the story interesting for the first few hundred pages.

It soon becomes clear that the Lord Ruler was never the real enemy or villain of this story. He really did care about his people. He made a mistake at the Well and tried to minimise the consequences. He knew what would happen once he died and he was prepared to save his people even when he was dead.

After 400 pages I felt like we still hadn't learned much. Only the intro's to each chapter gave some information away. It's only at the 500 page mark that things start happening fast. We discover secret after secret, plot twist comes after plot twist. You think you know how it's going to end but. You. Don't.

About those small intro's: they got me confused a lot of times. I couldn't figure out who was giving all this information and where they got it from. It's only at the end that you understand everything and know who was giving all this information.

Sanderson has you fooled from the start only to fry your brain at the very end. It's just amazing how the hints confuse you all the way throughout this entire trilogy and then BOOM everything makes sense in the end.

I will most likely reread this series again sometime in my life. I'm not sure if I'll read the continuation, I probably will at some point. I just want to be able to remember this magnificent story and all most of the details. I want to read more fantasy like this! You'll find me recommending this series to everyone who wants to read and also to the ones who don't. Just get your hands on these books, you will not regret it!
"The nature of the world is that when we create something, we often destroy something else in the process" - Brandon Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM