September 9, 2014

A gap year & going back to school

In light of the September theme I have going on here on Potterhead Reviews I wanted to talk about how I felt about the last couple of months and also about the future. The title is pretty self-explanatory so let's just skip the introduction and get crackin'.
gap year
noun
A period, typically an academic year, taken by a student as a break between school and university or college education.
In my case it was kind of a necessary thing. It became pretty clear to me that the school and studies I picked weren't the right ones for me. I was not in a good place back then, not emotionally and not physically. So I quit. But instead of starting something new I decided to wait until the new school year and start fresh.

The first few months I was bored out of my mind. I was at home all the time (I seriously didn't leave the house for three months). I finally started working in March, somewhere I could stay till school began in September. I met a bunch of new people and learned a lot of new things. In all honesty I'm really grateful for the opportunity and I'm glad I didn't go straight back to school. I feel like I needed this break to focus on myself and what I want to do with my life.

In these few months I had to work, I never (not once) didn't want to get out of bed and start the day. I also never felt that pressure to look perfect and act a certain way. You know in high school everyone expects you to be a certain way and if you're not, no one really cares about you. At work I feel like I never got judged and I feel like everyone accepted me just the way I am. I learned that it doesn't matter how crazy I am or if I say stupid things or not, people will still want to be around.

I'll have to adjust, again, to a new lifestyle. I'm really out of it. I can't even remember certain things I did when I studied or even how I studied. What?! Deep down I'm afraid this new school experience will be like last year but I forbid myself to think that way. It will never be the same again. I'm getting ready for something new. I even miss having a purpose in life: getting through exams and tests and whatnot. OMG I really said it!

Well, there's my story. It's a very honest and open one but I felt like telling someone. If you are curious what I'll be doing this year: I'm trying out social studies at a school that's a fifteen minute train-ride away. I'm not too sure about it, especially since my last attempt at choosing a school and a degree went horribly wrong. But I'm not letting myself think negative. It'll be better this year.

Have any of you taken a gap year before? What was it like for you?





6 comments:

  1. No, I haven't, mostly because I felt I was a little too old to take a gap year. I had to resit 2 times in High school (I wasn't in a good place and that highly effected my grades) and I did VWO. I felt it was necessarily to go to my new study right away and honestly, I also didn't feel the need to take a gap year. I love school and I already knew what I wanted to do :) I think gap years are perfect if you need some time off and I truly hope this is the study for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you already knew what you wanted! I hope this is the right study for me too.

      Delete
  2. I have never taken a gap year, but I really wanted to! When I finished high school, I was only 16 (turned 17 right when I started college/HBO) so I was the right age. The only problem was that as a gap year I wanted to do a year of high school abroad and that's very expensive! I hadn't saved enough money on time xd But I think gap years can be great for figuring out what you want to do. I actually ended up nog liking the first study I chose AT ALL. I quit in December and unlike you, I didn't take the time to figure things out, I started my new (and current) study in February already. That was years ago, though, and looking back I wish I had taken the time like you! I hope you found the right study in Social studies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently found out how freakin expensive it is to go to the States! It's unreal. Studying there would probably be an amazing experience though.

      Delete
  3. I took a gap year last year mostly because I had to I blogged about my experience as well and mine was slightly different than yours but I can tell u that u won't find it that hard to get back into a zone where u can study and learn easily it basically just depends on your love for what u are doing:) I liked reading your post though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to adjust to the "school-life" a little but that didn't take long. Studying is just as I remember: not fun at all.

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM