May 5, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


Basic information
Title: My Life Next Door (Goodreads)
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick (Website)
Series: My Life Next Door #1
Genre: contemporary, romance
Published by: Speak in June 2012
A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another
""One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.""
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?
A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.

Review

(might contain spoilers)
Before starting this book I didn’t know anything about what it was going to be about besides neighbours falling in love. I thought it was Lola & the Boy Next Door 2.0.

I think the book started off very good. We get a lot of background information about Samantha’s life and family. I also liked how she and Jase became friends quite easily and most of all I like the Garret family. Samantha and Jase’s relationship progressed way too quickly for my liking. They were together before we even knew Samantha was in love and why.

Jase was too flawless to be real. I like to read about characters that have flaws and make the wrong decisions because it makes them more relatable. I don’t know if we’ll read much about him in the sequel but if we do, I’ll be waiting for him to show a flaw. Also: I don’t see the point in a sequel but I guess they’ll be more of companion novels? Anyways, I’m not sure I’ll be reading that.

Clay Tucker’s behavior was a little overdone but it sure made this book a lot more interesting. He’s just crazy ambitious but it was clear from the start that he was the bad guy in this story. I don’t know why Samantha didn’t act quicker when it seemed he didn’t have the right intensions? But I guess Samantha is just like that since she didn’t do anything about the fact that she and her best friends grew apart (yes! twice!).

I don’t know. I expected much more from this book after hearing so many positive things about it. The best part about the story was the Garrett family. I especially loved George.
My Life Next Door isn’t a contemporary I would recommend. If you’re looking for a similar book with much more suspense and ship-worthy couples: read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM