April 6, 2014

Tip on how to finish a big book




I like to read a nice, big book every once in a while. George R.R. Martin's books are great for that because they are usually around 800 pages long (and because the books are amazing). My problem is that I have little patience and I want to finish a book within a week (max) and that just doesn't happen when I read a book from the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. I started A Feast for Crows in December and finished it early March. The reason it took me so long: procrastination.

I first tried to read a chapter a day but that lasted for a week... When I was about halfway through the book I was so done with being 'stuck' with this book that I looked for a different method. I counted how many pages I had left to read, divided that by 4 (a month is about 4 weeks long) and stuck 4 post its on the pages. My goal was to read until I hit a flag/post it and that each part was allowed to take a week. In short: read from flag to flag - every flag taking a week.

This finally worked for me! In fact, I got so motivated to get to the next flag that I ended up finishing the book in a week and a half. I don't know why I get so intimidated by these books (honestly, I only get this with GRRM's books) but I think I will use this method again if I feel like I'll be procrastinating again.

I hope this helped someone out. The size of a book shouldn't matter, you just have to keep it interesting. I made reading this book a game and therefore I had much more fun reading it. Let me know if you have a trick for getting through giant books.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

7 comments:

  1. I split mine up as well, although I'm currently in a procrastination stage with AFFC. It doesn't help that work takes up all of my time. I think I'm going to go back to reading 30 pages a day (minimum) and then I'll hopefully get to each flag within three or four days :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that this works for you! For me, I just like to pick up the book when I feel like it and read a bunch of pages until I don't want to continue anymore, haha. I don't mind taking a long time for these books. If I'm going to 'pressure' myself to read towards a certain page, it's only stressing me out and I lose my enjoyment. I'm only busy with 'hitting the mark' but awesome that it worked :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the pressure because it made me get things done. When I take too long reading a book I start to forget what happened before and I can't enjoy it anymore.

      Delete
  3. That a really great idea!! I have a book that I'd like to read that is over 600 pages... the only reason I haven't yet is because I have so many shorter books that I could easily finish faster. I think I'm going to try breaking it up so I can get other books read while I'm also reading that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the method I use for reading nonfiction books for school! I like it because there is the motivation of getting to the next mark which doesn't seem that far away. Using it for fiction would be interesting, so I might try this out the next time I pick up a huge book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good idea. I never even thought of that. I will just force myself to sit in my room with no distractions and read. But this is a great great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM