April 17, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson


Basic information
Title: Steelheart (Goodreads)
Author: Brandon Sanderson (Website | Twitter
Series: Reckoners #1
Genre: dystopian, science-fiction
Published by: Gollancz in September 2013
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.
 Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.
 And David wants in. He wants Steelheart - the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning - and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.
 He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.


Review
There’s been a lot of hype around Brandon Sanderson’s books lately. One booktuber talked about him and the rest of the community followed in a nanosecond. I wanted to see what the fuss was about and since I read a lot of popular books, I couldn’t miss out on this one.

Most of Brandon Sanderson’s books are in the adult genre. Steelheart is more of a YA-style book. The protagonist is 18 years old aka a young adult. That doesn’t mean an adult wouldn’t enjoy this book. I thought the concept of superheroes (or more like anti heroes) that have taken over the world was very unique. These ‘heroes’ don’t exactly use their powers to do good, they all have different powers and they all have a weakness. This way these characters immediately had depth and a back-story. You can almost tell what kind of person these heroes are just by looking at their powers and their weaknesses.

The protagonist wasn’t spectacular. He didn’t stand out. As a kid he saw how a ton of people got killed, including his father and therefore he wants revenge. We also learn about his education and his knowledge of weapons and Epics. There wasn’t anything that made me really like him, appreciate him or surprise me in any way. The other characters were interesting in many ways, probably because some of them had pretty big secrets.

What I loved about this book is the plot. I love plot twists and Steelheart sure has a few. I kind of had my theories on how this book would end but it ended completely differently. I don’t have any theories on what will happen in the next books though. I’m kind of expecting it’ll go the same way every other dystopian goes… I guess I’ve read too many dystopians in my life.

I’ll be checking out other books by this author, especially because they are high fantasy books.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I was actually debating if I should buy this a few days ago. It's unfortunate that the main character isn't anything special, because there aren't many male protagonist. But I do love plot twist and super heroes so maybe I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, plot twists are the best in sci-fi/fantasy books :D I like being surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM