April 10, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin


Basic information
Title: A Feast for Crows (Goodreads)
Author: George R.R. Martin (Website)
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #4
Genre: adult, high-fantasy
Published by: Uitgeverij Luitingh in 2005 (NL)
The Lannisters are in power on the Iron Throne.
The war in the Seven Kingdoms has burned itself out, but in its bitter aftermath new conflicts spark to life. The Martells of Dorne and the Starks of Winterfell see vengeance for their dead. Euron Crow's Eye, as black a pirate as ever raised a sail, returns from the smoking ruins of Valyria to claim the Iron Isles.
From the icy north, where Others threaten the Wall, apprentice Maester Samwell Tarly brings a mysterious babe in arms to the Citadel. As plots, intrigue and battle threaten to engulf Westeros, victory will go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel and the coldest hearts.

Review

In A Feast for Crows we read about one half of the POV’s we’re used to read. The other ones are kept for A Dance with Dragons. This book is mostly focused on King’s Landing and the Iron Islands but we also read about the events in Sun Spear (Dorne), Braavos and the Vale. There are a lot of new POV’s added to the old ones. BriĆ«nne and Cersei are a few examples but there are also characters that we’ve never really heard of before. Minor characters that were once mentioned like Aeron Greyjoy or completely new ones that could die at the end of their chapter.

This fourth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series isn’t as eventful as A Storm of Swords was. This one was more about the political intrigue and Cersei’s schemes. I never thought I would enjoy a book like this but I did. I also liked that we read about minor characters that aren’t always high-born.

Cersei is absolutely cray-zy! We could’ve guessed that much from the previous books but now, when you can actually read her POV, you find out it’s ten times worse than you thought. In all honesty I think that’s why I enjoyed her chapters the most. She’s always scheming and trying to do what’s best for her son but she’s just not smart enough to succeed. The book leaves you with a sort of cliff-hanger when it comes to her story-line so it’s still a mystery what’ll happen to her and the rest of her court. I also hate how we’re left guessing at the end of Arya’s last chapter (of this book). Whyyyy George?!

It seems everyone in Westeros is now on the hunt for our beloved Khaleesi whether it’s with good or bad intentions. I’m so excited to read about that, not gonna lie. Dany has been my favorite since the start and I really missed her in this book. I think George is trying to make us believe that Daenerys will be the savior while in the end someone else will end up on the Iron Throne. So many theories…

Reading an asoiaf book can be a real challenge and after 3 books I think I finally figured out why: there’s a ton of characters and they all have several nicknames. It can get pretty confusing especially because they’re thrown in your direction all at once pretty much. After a while you remember most of them and it’s easier to read but in the beginning it’s really hard.


I’m excited to start A Dance with Dragons because I want to know what happens to the other characters! I’ll start that book soon. Not right now (I need a break after such a giant of a book) but soon enough. The fact that it has a bigger font and is split into two parts will make the reading experience more fun, that’s for sure.


Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM