March 6, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes


Basic information
Title: Falling Kingdoms (Goodreads)
Author: Morgan Rhodes (Website Twitter)
Series: Falling Kingdoms #1
Genre: ya fiction, high-fantasy
Published by: Razorbill in December 2012
In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects' lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined: Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct. Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making. Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield. Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword. . . . The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?


Honestly, I read this book on a whim but I’m not regretting that at all. I liked Falling Kingdoms very much and I can’t wait to dive into the sequel, Rebel Spring.

The book is fast-paced, sometimes a little too fast. It’s not that big of a deal for me. With fantasy books I feel like they can drag the story out until it feels like nothing happened in a 100 pages.
I thought it was interesting that there’s talk about another part of this world, not just these three lands. Maybe we’ll get to see that in future books? That would be nice.

Falling Kingdoms is pretty much the build-up to the actual story. We meet the MC’s and we learn about where they live, the history of their kingdoms, etc. There’s also talk about magic and ‘the Kindred’ and what they are. It’s not that clear to me yet so I hope we can get more of that in the next book.

There are 4 main characters: a princess, a rebel, a sorceress and an heir and they are from different kingdoms within this land. The princess, Cleo, was probably my least favorite because she’s so on the spur of the moment. Just in a matter of seconds she would make a decision and then go for it. It made her look immature and stubborn. I liked reading Magnus’s parts the most. I don’t really know why but he seems the most interesting of them all. I feel like he’s the most complex character in this book and I look forward to reading more about him.

I’m happy I discovered another YA high-fantasy book series. This series will consist of 4 books (so far) so it’s not just another trilogy. I think fantasy novels in the YA genre are perfect if you want to dive into the high-fantasy genre. They are less complex and more plot driven.



Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review Kaylie! I've put this book on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM