March 13, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Diviners by Libba Bray


Basic information
Title: The Diviners (Goodreads)
Author: Libba Bray (Website | Twitter)
Series: The Diviners #1
Genre: ya fiction, paranormal, historical fiction
Published by: Little Brown and Company in 2012

Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult. Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer. As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.





Review

The Diviners is probably one of the most hyped books on booktube and since I spend quite a lot of my precious time on there, I had to get that book too. If everyone is talking about it, it must be good right?

To be honest, I had a little bit of a hard time reading this book. Especially in the beginning. First of all: the story doesn’t pick up right away. Second: there’s a ton of 1920’s sayings I did not get and lastly: there are a lot of words I did not know (my English vocabulary isn’t that extensive). The book picks up after the murder of a girl (this isn’t a spoiler, it’s in the synopsis) but even then I felt like it could still get better. It’s not until the end that I was engrossed in the story. You also don’t get many answers until near the end and that really annoyed me. The book is a little slow because it has a lot of background story and instead of keeping you on the edge of your seat, the book drags a little because of that.

There’s quite a big cast of characters and they all have their story. I like how they’re all so different while they all have something in common. My favorite is probably Jericho but I can’t give you a very good reason why. I just like him. He likes books, that’s probably it. I can’t quite decide if I like the main character Evie. She has a good heart but sometimes she could be so damn selfish… Evie is one of the funnier characters I’ve read about so far. She makes these really witty comments that just crack you up. I hope there’ll be character development in the next book, especially when it comes to Evie.

Something else I liked about The Diviners is that it taught me a lot about New York in the 1920’s. Some of it is fiction but the facts were new to me. It actually surprised me that I knew so little about the Twenties. I might educate myself on this period some more.


The Diviners is nearly 600 pages long and to some that might be off-putting. Don’t let it scare you though. It’s an enjoyable read, creepy at times but with a good amount of mystery. I hope to learn more about ‘divining’ in the next book because so far everything’s pretty vague. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the supernatural.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book Kaylie - great review! This is one of my all-time favourite books, but I can see why you rated it 4 stars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setting is so fascinating and I like a huge cast :D It's indeed quite a big book and that is what's keeping me off, but I hope to put it on my reading list for April.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM