March 20, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson


Basic information
Title: The Crown of Embers (Goodreads)
Author: Rae Carson (Website | Twitter )
Series: Fire and Thorns #2
Genre: ya fiction, high-fantasy
Published by: Greenwillow Books in September 2012

She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.
 Elisa is a hero.
 She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.
 Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.
 To conquer the power she bears, once and for all, Elisa must follow a trial of long-forgotten—and forbidden—clues, from the deep, hidden catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her go a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man whom—despite everything—she is falling in love with.
 If she's lucky, she will return from this journey. But there will be a cost.


Review

I have to say I’m impressed with this book. It seems the series is only getting better and I’m very happy about that. I liked The Girl of Fire and Thorns but there were some aspects that I didn’t like. The Crown of Embers is much, much better. Let me explain why.

I feel like there was more action in this book. You’re literally thrown into it from the beginning until the very end. The Crown of Embers is a very past-paced book with a lot of twists and turns when it comes to the plot. I loved how you could never know what was about to happen next. This book also focuses more on political intrigue than the previous one, which is to be expected since Elisa is now the queen.

In my review of the previous book I mentioned that certain events were pretty anti-climactic. You were hoping there would be something major happening but it didn’t. I only had this feeling once with this second installment. It’s not even that anti-climactic but I felt like the climax of this book was over too fast. I also thought a certain someone would turn out be someone entirely else or have a personal agenda yet we got a weaker version of that. It was all just a little too easy and it made me expect more. Of course that didn’t come. Is this just me? Anyway I’ll stop using the word ‘climax’ now.

There is, again, character development when it comes to Elisa. I love it. At the end of the first book I thought she couldn’t possible get any better than that but she can! In the beginning of this book she’s not exactly confident and she questions her ability to rule. Toward the end she becomes determined to be the queen her people need her to be. I’m very excited to see where this is going. I’m sure she’ll be an even bigger bad-ass in the next book.


I can happily announce that this book does end with a sort of cliff-hanger. Unlike the first book that ended without anything to look forward to. If you have read the first book but didn’t feel encouraged to pick up the second: I strongly recommend you do. Oh and just to be safe: get the third book as well because you will crave it like no other when you’re finished with The Crown of Embers!

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Girl of Fire and Thorns, though definitely heard great things about the series. Going to have to check them out! =)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You won't regret it.

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way! This series evolves so much more as it goes on, I feel like we finally get a grasp on the world and the characters in the second and third book.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM