February 11, 2014

Thoughts on blogging, booktube, etc.

You probably didn’t notice a thing but last week I took a break from blogging and everything that comes with it. The last month and a half I’ve been having doubts about my blog, my booktube channel on YouTube and the whole jibberjabber. I decided I needed a break from it all and that I needed to sort out my priorities.


Lately I’ve been having trouble figuring out what I want to do with my blog. I started out with a lifestyle/personal blog 2 years ago but I’ve changed a lot since then and so has my blog. It’s grown into a book blog and I don’t regret leaving out all the other non-book-related posts. But this ‘switch’ made me believe that I couldn’t post anything besides book-related stuff on my blog. I’ve also been comparing my blog to other ones and I’ve been looking at how many views or followers I have way too many times.

This all needs to change NOW. First of all: I will put up blog posts whenever I feel like putting one up. I’m done stressing out over the fact that I can’t post something every day. I don’t have time to do that and I don’t want to spend my time doing that anymore. I’ll also be posting about whatever I want. If I feel like talking about something that has nothing to do with books, then I’ll do that. I need to stop caring about other people’s opinions so much and do me.

I won’t be reviewing every book I read anymore. You probs didn’t know this too but as a matter of fact I’ve reviewed pretty much every book I’ve read in the last 2 years. Last year I read one book after another without ever taking a break just to be able to post a review. I’ve been trying to slow down this year and take things easier. I feel like I didn’t enjoy those books as much because I felt pressure to review them by a certain date. I’ll review books when I feel like I have a lot to say about them, otherwise I’ll just write a short comment on it on Goodreads.

To remind myself that I can do whatever I want on my blog, I’ve made a blogging manifesto for myself. I’m not sure if I should put it online or not but for now it’s just on my computer. I might put it on my about page later on. They’re basically a few ‘rules’ or more like guidelines for me to be reminded of what’s important and what’s not. One the most important things on there is to forget the numbers and only post things I’m happy with.

Then there’s the whole booktube thing. The sad part about this is that I have tried so many times in the past to make YouTube work for me. It never lasts. Lately I haven’t had much fun making videos and putting them up. Not because there isn’t any support in this community but because I felt pushed to meet certain expectations. I feel like I am obligated to film book hauls to get recognized and that’s not what it’s supposed to be about.  I may discuss this more in depth in another discussion sometime. For now I’ve decided to give YouTube a rest.

It’s probably because I enjoy being (fairly) anonymous on this blog. I mean, I use my real name and there are pictures of me up on this blog but compared to YouTube… You’re out in the open and I can’t decide whether to just man up and put myself out there, or if it’s because I actually don’t feel comfortable putting my face on a network the whole world visits. So yeah, I’m gonna stick to blogging for now.

This entire week I have missed my blog and thought ‘Oh I could share this on my blog’ about a million times. The thing is that I love blogging and love to talk about the things that interest me. I just need to take breaks every once in a while and just calm down in general. I will take things easier in the future and maybe I’ll finally make some friends as well because that hasn’t happened yet since I started blogging. Looking forward to meeting new people!


Well, this turned into a very long post. I hope you don’t mind but I think I really needed to get that off my chest. I’m happy to be back so let’s keep it that way. Until next time!

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Oh I really admire that you've resolved to change your mindset, Kaylie! :) I definitely agree that statistics aren't the most important parts of blogging, as in my case where the best part is getting to share my opinions and meeting lots of awesome people :D I hope you feel the same way, and regain your motivation to blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I've been feeling better about my blog and I hope I can keep it that way. I'm focussing on the social aspect of blogging now and looking forward to making friends :)

      Delete
  2. Yeay, I hope that all these things will give you your motivation back. It's very good to set for yourself what you want to achieve with your blog. Just because you are a book blogger doesn't mean you can't share other things too. Personal stuff or things that interest you are just as interesting :) and not reviewing every book is a wonderful decision. I've been doing that too and it feels good. Forcing yourself to do things only make things worse and less enjoyable - and that's not why we're blogging :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's been going great! I'm glad I took a break because now I know what I want to do with my blog and I hope I'll stay happy with it for a very long time. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  3. This sounds great! Last fall semester I didn't post very much because of school and I sort of felt bad, but at the same time, I don't want reading to become stressful for me. I've been blogging more this semester and I think that's because I made a loose schedule for myself. I like to spread out my posts so that I have time to write them ahead of time and take away that last minute stress. I've never been one for writing a post everyday. I figure that most readers can't keep up with reading posts everyday anyways =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also write most of my posts ahead so I don't have to worry about anything during the week. It's much nicer than having to come up with something the night before and being stressed out.

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM