February 7, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa




Basic information
Title: The Iron Knight (Goodreads)
Author: Julie Kagawa (Website)
Series: The Iron Fey #4
Genre: ya fiction, fantasy
Published by: Harlequin TEEN in October 2011 | My edition: Harlequin Holland in September 2013
My name - my True Name - is Ashallayn’ darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her. My fall began, as many stories do, with a girlTo cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.
Then Meghan Chase - a half human, half fey slip of a girl - smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.
With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end - a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.
To survive in the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Review
Before starting The Iron Knight I thought it would be a different experience since it’s from a different point of view. Instead of following Meghan, we follow Ash in this book and his adventures to become a human so he’d be able to be with Meghan.

I’m having the hardest time trying to explain how I feel about this book. Right. Okay. Ash. The snowball. In the previous three books we see him as a cold and violent knight with a soft side. BUT! That was how Meghan saw him. In The Iron Knight we experience Ash as he sees himself. I never really liked him and that didn’t change with this book. I feel like he’s a cliché prince that’s trying to do the right thing. The other characters in this book were interesting. I can’t give too much away but Puck really annoyed me at some point. His comments weren’t funny –even though that’s what they were supposed to be- and didn’t add anything to the story. I loved Grim though, he’s just so sassy and sarcastic all the time.

The story was a little dramatic sometimes and by that I mean the way he thinks about Meghan and everything. Maybe this makes me a cold-hearted person but I don’t buy soppy stuff like that. You’re in love with her, we get it. There’s also the possibility of a love triangle hanging in the air. I’m glad it didn’t turn out to be a real love triangle because frankly I’m quite done with those.


In the end I’m satisfied with the way the series ended. I wouldn’t have preferred it any other way. It’s a happy end, something you don’t get all the time. This series did have a fairytale feeling to it though so a happy end was the right thing to do.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

2 comments:

  1. I admit it was a bit hard to get used to since I was so used to it being told in Meghan's POV, but I really enjoyed it. I felt like Julie really went in depth with Ash. Though this wasn't my favourite, it was still really really good! Great review!

    Holly @ Absorbing the Content

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read the first book in this series, but I'll have to reread the first book and finally complete the series. Thank you for your honest review!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM