February 27, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Basic information
Title: The Book Thief (Goodreads)
Author: Markus Zusak (Website/Tumblr | Twitter)
Genre: historical fiction, war
Published by: Black Swan in September 2007

HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.
 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH. It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.(Source: Goodreads)


Review

I am happy to announce that I, Kaylie, have finally read The Book Thief. I can’t remember for how long I’ve been bumping into this book one way or another. Everyone seems to be over the moon about this book and on the Booktube community it’s in almost everyone’s best-books-ever-list.

This book takes place during WOII in a little village outside of Munich, called Molching. The main character Liesel, lives with her foster family because her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. This book tells her story from when she first sets foot in Molching (1939) until 1943. Liesel likes to steal books.

For the first 400 pages I really didn’t feel the hype to be honest. I was enjoying it and I thought it was a good story but it didn’t grip me or anything. The remaining 150+ pages moved me and got me right in the feels. The Book Thief is probably the only book that made me cry ugly tears at least 3 times. It’s so sad!


The Book Thief is told from Death’s point of view (no idea why I used a capital d) and I thought that was quite interesting. I didn’t see Death as an actual person but more like a shadow or something. I liked how Death explained how he sees humans and what he thinks of dying. There was one element in this book that annoyed me immensely. I can’t tell you what it is because I’d spoil the book for you. It made me angry and I thought it would ruin the ending of the book altogether. Luckily it didn’t.

You’ll fall in love with all the characters, you will grow to like them and you will become attached to them. And in the end your heart will be broken. I’m just warning you: read this book when you feel like reading something sad. Read when you’re ready for it. It was on my shelves for a few months but I finally felt like reading it.


I don’t see The Book Thief as my new all time favorite book. It’s a good, moving, well-written story and I recommend it to everyone. Doesn’t matter what your age is, you will enjoy it. It didn’t rock my socks off but you might find your new favorite book in this one.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, but I'm sad you didn't love it as much as I do. This book belongs to my all time favorites and I've re-read it many times. It's one of the few books that always make me ugly cry, haha. Interesting POV huh? I wonder what annoyed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably because everyone loved it and I had too high expectations. I didn't like the fact that Death told you what would happen in the end. I thought that would ruin the reading experience but it didn't (because I still cried like a baby).

      Delete
  2. I finished this last night and had a complete breakdown. I was lying in bed sobbing! I was a bit thrown off by Death revealing "spoilers", but after I thought about it (after I had recovered) I decided that I really liked what Zusak did with that. I agree that you need to be prepared for this one. I had it on my shelf for three years (!) before picking it up because I wasn't ready.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM