January 9, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


Basic information
Title: Anna Dressed in Blood (Goodreads)
Author: Kendare Blake (Website | Twitter)
Series: Anna #1
Genre: YA fiction, paranormal, ghosts
Published by: Tom Doherty in September 2011 | My edition: Uitgeverij Manteau/ WPG Uitgevers België nv
Rating: ★★★★☆
Cas Lowood, armed with his late father's athame knife, kills ghosts. In Thunder Bay, Anna, forever 16, drips blood on her white dress from throat slit in 1958, and rips apart anyone who enters her house - except Cas. He makes new friends - high school queen Carmel, jock Will, admiring nerd Thomas and Tom's voodoo grandpa Morfran - to fight this demon.

Review
I don’t really get the fuss around this book, it wasn’t that amazing at all to me. The story didn’t particularly stand out. The only thing that intrigued me is the creepy-ness of it and that is was about ghosts because I’ve never read a book about ghosts before. Anna Dressed in Blood isn’t just a ghost story though, there’s magic and other forces.

I thought the main character was okay but the side characters didn’t stand out that much to me. Thomas is really great and he’s your typical underdog. He’s not the science nerd this time though. He’s the mind-reader/witch. He’s about the only character that I really liked, Carmel, Will etc. were pretty bland.


I don’t believe in ghosts but this book gave me the chills sometimes, especially the Obeah man. The gore and overall creepy feel this book has didn’t bother me. This book is not for the younger YA literature lovers though. I can imagine my 12/13 year old self being pretty freaked out about this book.


Overall: it was a good and entertaining read. I thought some things were a little ‘off’ and somewhere in the middle I felt like this book was going nowhere. Luckily there are some plot twists that keep you reading.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM