October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#5): Book Turn-Offs


In this Top Ten Tuesday I'm gonna talk about some things that I don't like in/about books. 

Inappropriate sex scenes
In YA fiction you don’t come across graphic sex scenes that often which I think is fine because I feel like it’s rather unfitting for this genre. When I read Dinner with a Vampire by Abigail Gibbs, a book that happens to have a graphic sex scene, that was honestly a turn-off for me. I thought it didn’t fit and it was inappropriate. It’s not like I’m not used to anything… I read A Song of Ice and Fire mmmkay.

Long intros
I want books to start immediately. I want action from the beginning. I don’t like it when the first 50 pages is world building or background stories because it simple turns me off.

Fan fiction
This is not a book (I heard the only exception is 50 Shades of Grey but I can’t judge that) but it is a story and I don’t like it. I don’t read fan fiction simply because it changes my view on the story and the characters. People sometimes come up with the weirdest and sometimes grossest ships ever. An example of a ship I don’t like at all: Sansa and The Hound. WHY?! NO!

Boring passages
This ties in with the long intros a little. Sometimes you have these super long, boring chapters in a book where there is no conversation, there is nothing happening at all, etc. That’s a turn-off. Give me action.

Blurb
Some blurbs are so deceiving… I’ve had this quite a few times where I’ll read the blurb, decide I’m not interested, hear a complete different summary from someone who has read it and then end up reading the book and loving it. Blurbs are supposed to spark your interest!

Required reading
Once a book is required, it’s not as fun to read it anymore. Forcing a book on me has the reversed effect.

Shallow protagonist
If the protagonist doesn’t have a decent character than it’s already done for me. A good book needs a good protagonist, preferably one with character development.

Far-fetched scenario’s
I like fantasy and sometimes it can get pretty crazy in that type of books. I can handle some weird-ness but when it crosses the line and it’s just far-fetched and not enjoyable to read then I put down the book.

Rushed pace
When things happen way too quickly or they’re not explained thoroughly enough then I will most likely put the book down. I want to understand what I’m reading and when it all happens very quickly, I can’t do that.

The cover
I judge books by their covers and I’m not denying it at all. When the cover isn’t that nice or interesting I probably won’t even read the blurb. Something I shouldn’t do but let’s be honest… you do it too!

Make your own Top Ten list or let me know in a comment what turns you off when it comes to bookish things!

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM