August 19, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | The Host by Stephenie Meyer



1656001Basic information
Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Series: The Host #1
Published by: Little Brown & Company in May 2008 //version I’ve read: ‘Zielen’ Boekerij in 2009
Rating: ★★★★☆

Summary
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.

Review
We’re all very acquainted with the phrase ‘never judge a book by its cover’ but I think that we should add something to that: never judge a book by its summary (or at least not entirely). The one reason I refused to read this book years ago is because of what that summary told me. I thought it was about aliens – the kind that we all picture in our heads when we hear the word ‘alien’ – and about a lot of fighting, loneliness, misery, and so on and so forth. It’s only when I saw the movie trailer that something inside me told me that maybe this wasn’t what I thought it was. I saw the movie then and was so impressed and overwhelmed with emotions that I wanted to read the book right away.

I think is a very unique story that many authors will be inspired by (What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang is one example I can give) and many readers will fall in love with. I sure did. It was sometimes hard to understand certain actions by certain characters but when you think about it and put yourself in their position I think you would react the same way. Just imagine a friend of yours that has two souls inside one body. Do you trust that person? And if so, which of the two souls do you trust the most? I would be hella confused all the time.

Some passages were a bit cheesy, especially the ones between Wanda and Ian in my opinion. I don’t know, for some reason I didn’t like Ian as much as I did when I saw the movie. I think my view on him is a little distorted because I saw the movie first. However I do love Wanda much more after reading
the book because I understand her better now. I loved how she and Melanie became friends even though Wanda is still the ‘intruder’.


The Host was originally a stand-alone book if I’m not mistaken but since the movie of The Host came out, there are two other books planned in this… world. I mean yes, the ending of The Host hinted on a sequel but why wait so long? I’d almost think Stephenie Meyer is milking the cash cow. I. DON’T. KNOW. I’ll read it.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM