July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#1): Best/Worst Movie Adaptations

My first Top Ten Tuesday and I'm already breaking the rules. Well... I just happen to not have seen many movie adaptations. These are the ones I'm going to talk about today (going from good to bad):

C The Hunger Games
I thought the movie adaptation of The Hunger Games was one of the best I’ve ever seen. In my opinion the movie is very close to the book in the overall plotline. Everything you’d need to know to understand the whole thing is there and the scenes that got cut weren’t of big importance.

CHarry Potter movies
There are quite some differences in these movies compared to the book series but when I look at it in general they did quite a good job. I think the movies made the books really come to life and helped it become one of the greatest and most popular book series ever. The changes that were made weren’t too big and didn’t mess up the plot so I consider this a successful adaptation.

C The Hobbit (so far)
Very pleased with what they did with the book to movie adaptation. The book is only a little over 250 pages but by splitting it up in three parts, they will be able to capture every single detail and make it the perfect adaptation ever. So far I’ve only seen the first part ‘An Unexpected Journey’ but I was surprised at how good it was and how they didn’t miss a thing.

C The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Thin books are usually easier to make a movie of (though I’m sure there are failures out there) as there is less to film and less to cut out because otherwise the story wouldn’t be right anymore. I loved Perks, both book and movie.

C Beautiful Creatures
Liked the adaptation very much because it stayed close to the book. There were some differences in the movie but I didn’t mind them at all. In the end you could understand everything, you knew what it was about, the acting was first class,…

DC Twilight saga
This one is a bit meh. I enjoyed watching these movies and thought they were good adaptations overall. It’s just that I was bothered with the acting and (especially) the editing of the first movie. In Twilight they all look like they have already died (in the case of the vampires this wasn’t a big deal but for the other characters…) or they look greenish and sick. I didn’t like what they did with the first movie at all and I’m happy they used different directors on the other movies.
As for the acting I thought they looked a bit awkward and tried too hard. The conversations didn’t feel natural but studied.

D Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief
Though I liked this movie very much, as a book to movie adaptation it’s one of the worst out there in my opinion. It’s not that they didn’t capture it the right way, they didn’t stick to the book at all. I wouldn’t call PJ&TLT an adaptation because there aren’t many similarities apart from characters and setting. On its own, it’s great but if you are going to compare it to the book: prepare to be disappointed.

That's it for today. I'm sorry I couldn't get to ten!



Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

1 comment:

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM