July 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Choker by Elizabeth Woods


Choker

Basic information
Title: Choker (Goodreads)
Author: Elizabeth Woods
Genre: mystery, thriller
Published by Simon & Schuster in February 2012

What are best friends for? Murder, maybe. Zoe and Cara were as close as friends could be—until Zoe moved away in fourth grade. Miserable without Zoe, Cara grew into an unhappy sixteen-year-old, tormented by the popular girls and nursing a hopeless crush. Then one day Cara returns home from a miserable day at school to find Zoe sitting on her bed. Shocked and delighted, Cara agrees to hide Zoe from troubles at home and the two resume their friendship as though no time has passed. Zoe even helps Cara get up the courage to stand up for herself and talk to her crush. But when one of the popular girls winds up dead, Cara begins to suspect that Zoe is responsible, and her questions only feed Zoe’s anger. As Cara searches for answers, she is forced to confront a deadly truth….

Review
This isn’t what you think it is. You can make out that it will be about a girl murdering people, you even know who it is from the start but still it turns out to be something different entirely. What I didn’t like about it is that we are told not to trust Zoe in the blurb already. It’s like the suspense is taken away from you before you even start the book. Besides giving away  too much, the blurb also doesn’t tell the right story. It’s like the blurb and the book are two different things entirely.

Because I thought this was just a crime type of novel I didn’t really want to read it. I got through it very slowly in the beginning until I got sick of it and decided to finish it ASAP to start another book. Nosey me, I sneaked a peek at the last few pages and I read some interesting things that made the reading experience of this book ten times more fun. In this case I didn’t get spoiled (well, I did a little bit…) but encouraged to read on.

I didn’t find the characters outstanding or unique in any kind of way. Of course Cara is ‘special’ but we only learn that at the end of the book. There are the typical mean girls whom I so much dislike in a story but I guess you can’t write a story that takes place at a high school without adding one or two mean girls.

This book is scary. If you don’t like scary, then maybe you should not read it. Zoe turns into a freak at some point and does weird things. I don’t want to spoil it to you but you could say that Zoe lost herself and did some awful things.

You’d think this story is quite innocent and cute if you look at the cover but it’s deceiving. It doesn’t quite add anything or tell anything about the story. It’s one of the prettiest covers I’ve seen so far though.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this book and the ending totally took me by surprise and left me speechless and schocked!!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM