June 13, 2013

Book review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Basic Information
Author: Kiera Cass (Twitter - Facebook
Series: The Selection (#1)
Published by: HarperTeen in April 2012

Plot
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Characters
America Singer, the protagonist, is a musician and a singer and very down to earth. In the beginning she doesn’t want to have anything to do with The Selection though after she entered and got to know the Prince that all changed. I like Prince Maxon though he is a little weird sometimes. He’s the complete opposite of what most people think of him. He is inexperienced in most things and he isn’t confident about the things he does at all. He needs reassuring. It makes him cute in some way.
I don’t like it when he is doing things with the other contestants that he has done with America too because I’m rooting for them so badly. It’s like please Maxon, get your shit together, stop being such a player. I guess he’s just keeping up a façade for the outside world but still… And if we’re gonna talk about love and Prince Maxon then we also need to talk about freakin Aspen. Even though he was ‘first’ I think of him as an intruder. I don’t trust him, don’t know if I really like this dude or not… I just wished he would pack his stuff and go. Leave America and Maxon alone, you don’t stand a chance. But then I feel bad about him too because if he really likes America then she can’t just hurt his feelings and run off with another guy. This is what I hate about love-triangles. Even though I’m more on team Maxon I still feel sorry for the other guy.

Writing/story in general
The theme is very girly with all the dresses and the shoes and the make-up etc. I wouldn’t recommend this book to a guy to read though I wouldn’t have any issue with guys reading this book. I’m just warning you! There is also some mystery going on with the history of Illea that people aren’t talking about. Then there are the rebels that add some suspense to the mix. I don’t really see a point in this storyline (yet) and I would like to know more about it. I would also like to know why the hell they can still get onto the grounds of the palace after all that time. It’s like security around there isn’t quite what it should be. I hope we learn more about this in ‘The Elite’.
I thought the idea of a contest to become the princess of the nation was pretty cool. Ever since I first heard about this book I was kinda like ‘I should read that’ but I always postponed it because I had other books to read. Though some things in this story remind me of other books I’ve read (the interviews and the people going crazy over the contest – The Hunger Games and the romance between the protagonist and her guard, the chique setting – Shatter Me) I think it’s still very original. The book is a dystopian though we haven’t seen much about that aspect just yet. The Selection mainly focuses on well… The Selection and the Prince and the relationship between all of them. The ending of this book was kind of sudden though. I wasn’t ready to stop reading yet.

The pretty cover is definitely a bonus and adds to the girly-ness in the book. I know many of you don’t like girls in dresses on covers but come on… This is gorgeous!

The Selection is a light read, but a very nice one. Another series I will get further into!


Rating: ★★★★☆

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM