April 5, 2013

How to: Make a Stele


Initially I wasn’t going to make a stele because I didn’t know how but after reading a few tutorials I decided I was going to make one after all. A site (edit: can't find the link anymore) suggests using knitting needles and liquid metal to paint it. Knitting needles seemed like a good idea because they have a ‘sharp’ end and are often made out of wood so it’s easy to paint.

Making the stele

• Step 1: saw the wood, or in my case bamboo. The length of your to-be-stele is up to you. I didn’t make it too long so it would fit into my pocket.
• Step 2: paint it. The colors or the type of paint is again, up to you. I chose acrylic paint because it’s easy to find in stores. I painted my stele completely white. It needed 2-3 layers to be opaque.

• Step 3: let it dry completely. If you are in a hurry or just impatient like I am, you can use a hair dryer to speed up the process.
• Step 4: add designs. I mixed white and black paint and created different shades of grey (only 3, not 50). Using a fine brush or a dotting tool, paint the designs on the stele. I made some swirly lines, some dots and of course: runes. They didn’t end up perfect but I’m happy with how it turned out and that’s all that matters. I didn't have much to go on. There are no close-ups of the stele's on Google images so I kinda winged it.
• Step 5: let it dry completely.
• Step 6: apply a varnish. I chose to do this just to make it look more fancy. It also won’t get dirty as fast. On the bottle it says to apply layers with 2 hours in between each of them, so that’s what I did.

After applying varnish, your stele is pretty much done. I think steles are unnecessary if you’re going to dress up as a Shadowhunter unless you know an original way to carry it around. Mine was in my bag the entire day because I didn’t know where else to put it and because it doesn’t really have a purpose. On the other hand: you’re not a Shadowhunter unless you have a stele so it’s really up to you if you want make one.


Other related tutorialsHow to dress like a ShadowhunterHow to make a seraph bladeHow to apply runes to skin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM