March 9, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Basic information
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Genre: young adult, paranormal
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers in 2012

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

Very different than what I initially thought it would be. I put if off because I thought it was going to be boring and wouldn’t have some special fantasy side to it. Eventually I started reading it because I didn’t have anything else to do and I was pleasantly surprised about the pace and the writing style. It’s a quick read (in my case – it took me 3 days to read it – that can also mean it’s just a very good book) and not what you expect at all. The blurb doesn’t give anything away but this story is bigger than what is said in there.

I don’t know exactly what is going on with our protagonists and that will be clarified in the next book probably (The Revolution of Mara Dyer). It’s waiting on my shelf to be read and that will happen soon. Huge cliffhanger. I could’ve seen it coming and I was thinking this would happen at the beginning of the book because something seemed off. I also partly guessed what was up with Noah before it was revealed later on in the book. Nevertheless I enjoyed it very much and was still surprised by certain plot twists.

This book is somewhat creepy at times but also thrilling and a bit romantic. I ship them so hard it hurts. Literally. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is Michelle Hodkin’s debut and let me tell you… she kicked off her career with a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM