March 29, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare


Basic information
Title: Clockwork Princess (Goodreads)
Author: Cassandra Clare (Website)
Series: The Infernal Devices #3
Genre: steampunk, urban fantasy
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books in March 2013

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her. 





This isn't a spoiler-free review!

*Character development* Yay! Pretty much everyone changed through Clockwork Princess and I love it. Gabriel Lightwood changed in a positive way though we don’t read about him too often. He isn’t the annoying little bastard he was before and he and Will actually become friends. Cecily changes into a strong young woman and becomes this warrior, a real Shadowhunter. Sophie also stands out more and I think everyone is really proud of her. In CP2 she is more than just a servant.

I feel like all these characters are so smart for their age and so much stronger than the TMI protagonists. It’s like in TMI, Cassandra Clare focuses on romance and humour  too much. Both Clary and Tessa would do everything for the people they love but I feel like Tessa really means it but Clary does it because she has to. I don’t know, it’s like TID characters have much more depth than the TMI characters.

Honestly, I’ve never read a Cassandra Clare novel like I read this one. I could read for hours and hours without getting annoyed or bored. I felt like I was going mad after reading certain plot twists and I actually cried more than once. The story grabs you and pulls you in and you can not get out. Why don’t you write more often like this Cassie?

We all hoped to get some answers out of CP2 and I’m glad we did on the most part. There are many references to TMI but without much explanation though. We learn about Isabelle’s red pendant, how it got into her family, who her ancestors were, how the Fairchilds got their red curly hair and how Church got to the NY Institute. We don’t know anything about the white star mark that Will, Jace and Clary have although we can figure it out ourselves after a serious brainstorm session. Will got his mark because Tessa’s clockwork angel touched his skin there and we learn earlier on that there is a piece of him in that necklace. But how did Jace and Clary end up having such a mark as well? Because they found Ithuriel in the cellar of Jace’s old house in Idris perhaps? Many of the things mentioned in CP2 aren’t explained, the reader has to do the puzzling. I hope the remaining questions we all have will be answered in City of Heavenly Fire. And btw: CoHF better be just as good as CP2 because I’m losing my interest a bit.

About the epilogue… I feel like it was too long for what it was worth. It’s hard to picture a Tessa and Jem in modern clothes, in a modern London. I just cannot do it and I do not want to do it either. It ruins the memory I have of them in 1878. Just NO. It also didn’t warm me up to the idea of TessaxJem at all. In fact I don’t really know what to think of it. On the other hand I loved the part where she remembered her earlier life with Will and their children and how he died. She also remembers Charlotte and Henry, Sophia and Gideon and Cecily and Gabriel in a very positive way. In fact I hadn’t really thought about how it must have felt for Tessa to lose all these people she had spent so much time with, went through so much misery with…before typing this review.  It makes the ending so heartbreaking. I had hoped one of the TMI protagonists beside Magnus might be mentioned for some reason and maybe I had hoped little too much because it kinda ruined the epilogue for me. But…
Cassandra Clare has been extremely nice to us giving us both Team Will AND Team Jem. Everybody can live/die in peace now. I’m not saying I’m entirely okay with what she did at the end with Jem and Tessa but that’s probably because I never really felt TessaxJem. It’s also not bothering me that much. I got my TessaxWill and I’m not complaining.

Clockwork Princess is a satisfying ending to The Infernal Devices. I will definitely be reading this series again later on and recommending it to everyone who’s looking for a good steampunk read.


1 comment:

  1. Great review!
    I agree with you about the characters. All of them were great and interesting. I loved every single one of them!

    I loved the epilogue. At first, I was freaked out because it was set AFTER the ending of TMI and I completely lost it when Jem said something about 'Another story of Lightwoods and Herondales and Fairchilds'. But it was an extremely nice ending, like you said. I wonder if Tessa and Jem (or references to them) will show up in TDA.

    Also, Henry (and Magnus a little bit) invented the portal! I mean, how cool is that?

    Also (2), I'm interested in how Cassie will handle Brother Zachariah in CoHF without spoiling TID.

    Also (3), about the white star mark. I thought it was heridetary and that's why Jace has it (Imogen recognizes him as a Herondale by it at the end of CoA). Clary had hers before she saw Ithuriel in CoG, so I think she has it because 1) she has extra Angel blood or 2) she inherited it from Jocelyn, who saw Ithuriel in Valentines cellar.

    Two of my friends and my brother are currently reading TMI and they're really enjoying it. I've recomended TID multiple times and they promised me to read it. I'm really looking forward to hearing their theories, too!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM