February 16, 2013

Book review: The Hobbit by J RR Tolkien



Basic information
Title: The Hobbit
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Published by: (my edition) De Boekerij in December 2012

Review
I’ve never been a huge fan of hobbits but I changed my mind after reading The Hobbit. I think this is a great way to be introduced to the world JRR Tolkien created. I’m not a big fantasy fan but this got me into it a bit more.

To my surprise it was funny and nicely written. The story-teller has this kind of wit that makes it fun to read this book. It’s also easy to read, no long sentences that you can’t possibly understand and no words I’ve never seen before. The fact that this book has only 253 pages is also a plus. It’s always easier to get through a thin book and to be honest I thought The Hobbit would at least be 500. I couldn’t quite get how they would be able to make three movies out of such a short book (but after seeing the movie you’ll get how they made it possible). The book picks up immediately. The first chapter is a little slow and one of the longest in the entire book. However it isn’t boring at all since we learn a lot about the quest and Thorin’s family.

Bilbo Baggins is like a more extreme version of me. Afraid of any sort of adventure (especially one that involves a dragon) and homesick if the trip is longer than a day. I even missed his hobbit hole under the hill when he mentioned it. Poor little chap went through a lot and since he’s never been anywhere in his life (apart from the Shire) it made him a different person. The dwarves didn’t like him at first because he didn’t want to go with them but once Bilbo starts doing things and helping them and eventually also saving them the dwarves grow fond of him. However, every time he did something stupid or couldn’t come up with a solution for their problems they lost faith in him. Until he did come with a plan and then they were all ‘I knew you would save us!’ again. I mean their trust in Bilbo was a bit doubtful and in the end we don’t actually know if they all stayed friends or not. We know Balin was still his friend (and he was the only one that ever believed in Bilbo apart from Gandalf if you ask me) but about the other dwarves isn’t much known. I think they all were very grateful they had Bilbo on their quest because in the end he saved them all. In the beginning I thought Bilbo would be a whining hobbit and a bit annoying but he changed a lot during his adventure! Thank the gods!

Next thing on the list is all three of the LOTR books because I still don’t understand most of what is said about Middle-Earth and stuff and I just want to know what happens to Frodo and Sam. I saw the movies years ago but didn’t quite understand them. 


Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM