December 7, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Basic information
Title: The Iron King (Goodreads)
Author: Julie Kagawa (Website)
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Genre: fantasy
Published by: Harlequin Teen in February 2012


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Review
It’s nothing you haven’t read before yet it’s still different in a way. I’ve never read a fae/fairy novel before and so far it’s really good.
The beginning of the book is a bit weird and awkward. I thought to myself that if it was gonna be like this the whole time that I wouldn’t finish the book. Especially the conversation between Meghan and Robbie when he warns her for the consequences of knowing about Nevernever was such a cliché convo to me.

‘Tell me’
‘What are you talking about’
‘Just tell me about it!’

That sort of thing.

Nevernever reminds me of Narnia in some ways. First of all the way they enter Nevernever… But also the fact that there is a ‘cold’ queen totally made me think of Narnia. There are also saters and chimaera’s (and all the other ones I can’t recall right now) in this book (hello PJO again!). That’s what I mean with nothing you haven’t read before. Nothing is really new apart from the fae in this book. It’s still thrilling though.

The story takes off right when they enter Nevernever, which I was very thankful for.

The relationship between Meghan and Ash felt weird sometimes. You know it’s going to happen (because the synopsis tells you pretty much everything) but when it happened, you are disappointed. At least I was. I liked the tension between them more than the actual relationship because it seemed a bit fake at times. Maybe if Kagawa waited until the second book, build the tension more, that it would be more believeable.

After all The Iron King was very good because I bought The Iron Daughter before I finished this one so…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM