December 22, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin


Basic information
Title: A Clash of Kings (Goodreads)
Author: George R.R. Martin (Website)
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #2
Published: November 1998


Throughout Westeros, the cold winds are rising. From the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding lands of Winterfell, chaos reigns as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms stake their claims through tempest, turmoil and war. As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky - a comet the colour of blood and flame - five factions struggle for control of a divided land. Brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night.



Like A Game of Thrones, this book was tough to get through. It took me months to read it. I needed a nudge to continue but once I’m reading I can’t get enough. The problem is that I only read for a short period of time (20mins) and then stopped for weeks. I also had a lot of other books to read and they were always my first priority. It’s sad to say but I thought of ACoK as my ‘side-read’. It’s not that I can’t get through a 700+ paged book, it’s just because I needed motivation to continue and I had none. I put ACoK on my to-read-before-the-new-year-list and that made me motivated to read a few chapters a day. I’m now very excited for A Storm of Swords!

It’s an intense but amazing story. I can’t wrap my mind around all the details these books contain. I still have problems remembering names and places just because there are so many. It’s also a very sad book. No one is actually ‘winning’ anything here, they all lose in some kind of way. There is also more politics in ACoK and there’s also war.
In this second book there are new POV’s added (Theon Greyjoy, Davos). As much as I like most POV’s I didn’t like Davos and Theon as much. They don’t seem as interesting and Theon is annoying. I didn’t particularly like him in A Game of Thrones and now I don’t care about him at all anymore. Davos chapters were always very long and had barely any conversations in it. My favorite POV’s are Sansa, Daenerys, Tyrion and sometimes Arya. In AGoT I didn’t like Sansa at all but now she’s one of my favs!

I feel like there is some serious character development going on. Sansa is tougher and I actually like her now. Arya is even more independent, Jon is less light-hearted by the bastard-thing, Robb became a man that can make important decisions and so is Daenerys. She’s so much more grown-up now. Theon thinks he owns the world and he really annoys me in this book. He’s  pretty much nothing to his family but he still wants to be the one that has all the power. He does terrible things to make his people look up to him, to prove that he’s worth something but he feels bad doing them. Please, Theon, sort out your priorities.

I started watching the show before I knew about the books and I mentioned in the aGoT review that there were next to no differences between the book and the first season of the show. The second season however, which covers the second book, is more different. It kept reading for me still interesting even though I knew what was going to happen. I’m probably going to watch the second season again now that I completed the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM