November 20, 2012

Book review: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Basic information
Title: The Lost Hero
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: The Heroes of Olympus #1
Published by: Hyperion Books for Children in October 2010

Review
This book is almost double the size of an average Percy Jackson book but that doesn’t mean it’s also better. I didn’t like some characters and I felt like there was less action.

Jason is still new to me. I don’t know what to think of him. Sometimes I like him, other times I don’t. I feel like he hasn’t an actual personality (yet?). He’s portrayed  as the best swordfighter of the Roman Camp but he didn’t do much fighting at all. The fight with the giant ended quickly because his weapon broke immediately.  The fight with Lit was the only time he actually used his sword without complications. Other times he was saved by pure luck. I was afraid at times that he might turn into some vicious sword fighting teenager and that makes me see him as a demigod-Cato.

I liked the other two new demigods, Leo Valdez and Piper McLean. She’s not the stereotypical Aphrodite daughter and Leo is quite a funny guy. In the beginning he only thought negative and kept to himself a bit but throughout to book you really see him change into a strong and independent person.

What bothered me is that their fights weren’t really fights because they were saved by luck most of the time. I know that is also the case in the PJO series but still, I feel like Percy fought more and didn’t get his ass saved all the time.

Because I don’t like Jason (yet?), I look forward to reading The Son of Neptune whether it’s one of these days as an ebook  or I wait till april for it to get in stores here. I missed Percy a lot so I think I’ll like SoN much more.

Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM