April 30, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | Legend by Marie Lu

legend-marie-lu

Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #1
Genre: dystopian
Published: Putnam Juvenile, 2011

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.



I never thought I'd like this book as much as I actually do. I never would have read it in the fisrt place but somehow, for a very odd reason, I picked it up at the bookstore.

First of all (don't shoot me!): this reminded me so much of Mockingjay...
-June going on a mission  Katniss going on missions
-Sectors  districts (in fact: only the name 'sector' made me think of districts, they are nothing alike though)
-Jameson  Coin
-Advanced technology
-Primitiveness in the poorer sectors
Not only  these things just the overall theme. BUT IT'S BETTER! So much better...

In the beginning of the book I was kinda afraid June & Day would never meet (was I drunk or something? idek). Luckily, OFCOURSE, they do and as soon as they did I rooted for them. And so I got annoyed with Thomas the minute June got back from her undercover mission. He just isn't the person you'd think he'd be.
I did like the secret the government is keeping. It's different but sick and disturbing. But very interesting.

Let's not forget the cover! It's simple but it practically portrays the Republic (literally too lol). The symbol is out there and it demands your attention. It looks like old, rusted steel and it just says 'caution: suppressing government'. I like it.

What I also like is that the spine didn't get ruined. Like when you read a paperback usually the spine gets all crooked and stuff, that didn't happen!

It's an amazing book, a bit alike to other dystopian novels (controlling government with a dark secret) but still very good. I enjoyed it very much and I will read it again in the future, I'm sure of it.
It is a pretty sad story though. People die, live in poverty, everything is ruled by the military... Just warnin' ya!

So if you like Divergent and The Hunger Games then you might like this one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM